Saturday, September 29, 2007

Free labor in Japan


I am staying this week in a traditional Japanese farm in the country side (at my new host family). It's pretty cool and I like this experience a lot. But this morning 5 am the rooster came knocking on my Japanese paper door to give me a nice loud wake up call. "Cockadoodledoo!!" "Ahhhhhh what the hell was that?" You can imagine the jump I did on my super thin futon on the floor "Ouch! my back!" No springs in those mattresses that's for sure.
Then I hear my hosts parents Yoko and Jiro moving around in the courtyard. It looks like they have a lot of work to do in this farm, maybe I could check if they want my help (I am used to chasing the chickens at my grand mother's farm back in France). And they say:
- "of course we need help! What do you think lazy city girl? Here, take this bucket and go feed the 80 chickens and then go broom the courtyard because since you have been here it's pretty dirty around here! Go! and move faster Cinderella! (I think that is what Yoko said in her fast countryside Japanese but I am still working on the language translation if you know what I mean).
So I am enjoying my time, throwing those little grains to the chickens dancing around me (like I saw doing when I was little at my grandma's and also in movies) and Yoko sees me and comes towards me looking angry.
-"You are not doing it right, You give too much! In Japan people or chickens don't eat so much!" she says.
-"Oh I'm sorry" I say, "they just look so happy those chickens with all the food I give them". Well I am now done with that. Maybe I can do the brooming now, but here comes Jiro who says:
- What!? you are not ready? We have to go; today we visit Sake factory with the rest of the group (who instead of feeding chickens, got to stay in normal homes where they got to shower and be served breakfast by the host mom). Pfew, saved by the bell, I won't be put to Japanese farm labor today.

__________________________________________
En ce moment je suis dans la campagne Japonaise et ma famillle d'accueil a une ferme, c'est plutot cool. Ce matin a 5 heures le coq a decide de venir frapper a ma porte en papier Japonais pour me reveiller d'un bon fort "Cocorico". "AHHHHH! qu'est ce que c'est que ca?". Vous pouvez imaginer le saut que j'ai fait sur mon petit futon tout plat par terre. "Aie! mon dos!". Ya pas de ressorts dans ces matelas c'est certain.
Puis j'entend mes parents d'accueil Yoko et Jiro faire du bruit dans la cour. On dirait qu'ils ont du boulot, peut-etre que je peux leur demander si ils veulent un coup de main (j'ai l'habitude de courrir apres les poules de ma chez ma grand mere en Bretagne).
- "Ben sur qu'on a besoin d'aide! Qu'est ce que tu crois petite paresseuse de la ville!? Tiens prend ce saut et va nourrir les poules et puis apres ca tu iras balayer la cour parce que depuis que tu es la, c'est bien degueulasse par ici" Allez, depeches-toi Cendrillon!" (Je crois bien que c'est ce que Yoko a dit dans son Japonais des campagnes, mais j'ai encore du boulot pour les traductions...).
Je commence a jeter des poignees de grains aux poules comme j'ai vu faire plein de fois en Bretagne quand j'etais petite (et aussi dans les films), et soudain Yoko arrive a grands pas avec son air pas content, et elle dit:
- Cest pas comme ca qu'on fait!... tu en donnes bien de trop! Au Japon les gens et les poules ne mangent pas tant...! (Je suis sure que c'est ce qu'elle a dit)
- Oh, pardon! Je luis repond. Les poules ont l'air contentes pourtant.
Alors maintenant que j'ai fini de nourrir les poules il faut que je me mette a balayer la cour mais c'est a ce moment que Jiro arrive et me dit :
- Quoi? T'es pas encore prete? Grouilles-toi, vas t'habiller il faut aller retrouver les autres pour aller visiter l'usine de Sake aujourd'hui. (Les autres: qui sont dans des familles sans ferme, sans poules, et qui ont passe leurs premieres heures du matin a dejeuner et a se doucher). Sauve par le gong, je ne travaillerai pas plus a la ferme aujourd'hui.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey sweet girl! you are so amazing and your writing is excellent! So descriptive and thoughtful! I feel like you're here telling me all your adventures ( I wish you were!) It all sounds so amazing. I remember my sister Beth telling me about he SUPER hot baths and now how she can't take a bath unless it's thousands of degrees HOT! Well hang in there and have a million more experiences! Love you! Meredith

Anonymous said...

I think Chris set you up at this house to get you used to working once you come back home.

Love you and I am glad you are enjoying your time.

We all miss you,

Jay

Anonymous said...

Salut Cécile!!
Bon courage au Japon!!!
Je dois dire que tes anecdotes sont croustillantes et me font bien rire !!!
A très bientôt